More About Endoscopy
Here at Songpawon Animal Hospital, we specialize in endoscopy and colonoscopy. There are a number of reasons why endoscopy may be an important diagnostic tool for understanding what is wrong with your pet, but one of the more common reasons we utilize endoscopy is to remove something that an animal has swallowed that is not digestible.
Very often animals swallow something that they are not able to digest. Whether it is a peach core, toys, coins, a belt, or even something more harmful, many animal hospitals will suggest surgery. But surgery to remove something from an animal's stomach is highly invasive and painful for the animal because of the incision and bleeding. Not to mention the significant recovery time. Most often though, surgery is unnecessary in this case. Dr. Jung specializes in endoscopy and has performed over 2,000 endoscopic procedures on a variety of animals, including cats, dogs, ferrets, penguins, and even a spectacle (pet) alligator!
Symptoms That Your Pet Has Swallowed Something Dangerous
Here is how you can tell if your pet has swallowed something dangerous. You may see some or all of the following warning signs:
They do not want to move
The Benefits of Endoscopy Over Surgery
When it comes to removing something that your pet has swallowed, endoscopy is a much healthier and non-invasive option than surgery, with virtually no recovery time. It is a very simple procedure that requires no incision. After applying light anesthesia, we are normally able to remove the indigestible object(s) in a very short amount of time (often within minutes). There is virtually no recovery time, no post-surgery hospitalization time, and the procedure is much less expensive than surgery.
Please note that we are only able to perform endoscopy on animals with a minimum weight of 500g and a maximum weight of 150kg.
If you suspect your pet has swallowed something dangerous, please do not hesitate to contact our clinic. We would be honored to help your pet!